At the Column Nursery children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships, developing security and independence through having a named key person to care for them.
The evironment is not just a physical space, but an atmosphere created through warm and caring relationships provided by our staff, where children are nurtured, respected and valued and their well-being comes before anything else. At the Column Nursery children are listened to and they thrive socially and emotionally. They talk confidently with adults and children.
Children are looked after in a mixed age group, this makes the nursery like a large family and brings benefits such as:
- children can spend time with siblings and friends
- become adventurous, independent and confident,
- develop spatial awareness and assess risks
- share experiences; younger children can watch or participate in older children's more challenging activities at their own pace and level of understanding, staff support them to enable this to happen
- become socially responsible; older children often take on a nurturing role towards younger ones
There is a quiet room with large windows which look into the main room as well as outside where children may sleep or take part in small group activities, quietly read stories or have a cuddle.